But today, I am writing a long thank-you note with words that only humans can read, and of course, dog lovers can feel!
I love to make lists, shopping lists, to-do lists, bucket lists and so on, but THIS list is THE list:
To all the dogs that were and are part of my life… 10 things about you that I am grateful for:
1. The moment when I open my eyes and you are kissing my face, wagging your tail and singing out loud “I am ready to go out for my walk!”
2. Your barking and jumping
when I am trying to put the leash on you (I say trying because you shake your body with the excitement of a mambo dancer.)
3. Your face when you feel the fresh breeze and you are ready to start your first-morning adventure at the park.
4. The feeling of freedom when I realize I am still on my PJ’s walking down the street and I really don’t care, because I am enjoying a walk with you!
5. Your look of expectation when we are back at the house and you run and sit on your special place waiting for me because you know it’s coming! Oh, yes, breakfast is coming!
6. The rolling and shaking
on your bed and around the house to celebrate you enjoyed a happy meal.
7. The moments of peace and relaxation that come after breakfast, when you sleep like an angel, having happy dreams of places that I can never imagine, but knowing that I am part of your dreams.
8. I am not happy to see the look in your eyes when I leave home without you, but I am grateful because those sad eyes show me how much you love to be with me.
9. Is there any more excitement than the “Mom is back!” part of the day? When I am just parking the car and you already know I am coming home? I don’t know how you know, but before you can even see my car from the window… you are already there!
10. The happiness, barking, wagging tail, jumping, rolling around… and finally, hugging and kissing each other as if I had been out for a week!
And the list could keep going on and on… every day is different, every day is an adventure, and for that and many other things, I am grateful to have you in my life!
We as dog lovers share many experiences, but every dog is unique.
What makes you feel grateful for your dog? What makes you jump with excitement?
Download and print this thank-you card. Write your own list inside and read it to your dog, you know your pup will understand! I am sure you can fill notebooks and notebooks with more reasons to be grateful. You can use this card to write a thank-you note to your pet sitter, too!