Owning dogs, or rather, being owned by dogs is the life for many of us. Some of us own one, some own multiple dogs. However, no matter how many dogs you are owned by, dog parenthood is pretty much the same all around.
So what do our days look like?
I can't speak for everyone, but here is a break down of a day in the life of a dog owner, from my own personal experience with my three Siberian Huskies.
- 9:00am - Wake up, take the dogs outside for a morning pee.
- 9:10am - Give the dogs some water, and breakfast
- 9:20am - Lock the dogs in the living room, using the baby gate in order to avoid counter surfing and garbage picking in the kitchen.
- 9:45am - Go to work
- 6:00pm - Come home from work to clean up whatever they decided to chew in the living room.
- 6:15pm - Take dogs outside for a walk and a pee.
- 7:00pm - Feed the dogs dinner , and water
- 8:00pm - Howling match with my huskies
- 8:15pm - Playtime with the dogs. Play catch with them etc...
- 9:00pm - Tv time, which means cuddle time with the huskies, and dog hair all over my clothes.
- 10:00pm - Change out of my dog fur clothes into my jammies.
- 11:00pm - Take dogs outside for a pee
- 12:00am and onward - get ready for bed
- 2:00am - Fight for some space on my bed
- 2:30am - Give up on fighting for space, and just curl into the big balls of fur beside me.
Keep in mind this is just a general day. Of course, more is involved on weekends and what have you. But you get the idea. A lot of work yet a lot of perks go into being owned by dogs. I think one of the biggest benefits aside from a dog's undying love for us, is the social part of it. Walking your dog, or even taking him to a dog park is a great way to meet people in your area. I have made some awesome friends just because our dogs wanted to sniff each other.
Exercise! When you are owned by dogs, exercise is essential. So for my lazy butt, my huskies keep me moving. Keep me busy, and keep me outdoors and active.
Boredom seldom occurs when you have dogs. It's Sunday, there is nothing to do. No one is around. Hmmmm what to do, what to do? Look over at your dog who is always eager to do just about anything with you, and bam light bulb hits. Take the dog for a walk. Go to the dog park. Go outside and play with your dog. Make a fun hide and seek game with treats. Bake some easy, yummy treats for him. The possibilities are endless.
Now you know the typical day in the life of a dog owner from my perspective. But I'm curious. What does your day look like? Share in the comments!
Hi, I'm Jenna Drady AKA HuskyCrazed - author and creator of ownedbyahusky.ca. I am a mother of two beautiful daughters and of course my 3 huskies. Being a husky mom for a long duration of my life, I was inspired to begin writing about them. In doing so, I started doing massive research on dog behavior, and all things dog in general. I am inspired every day by my family, and love to bring my readers valuable information as well as a little laugh while I'm at it. I created my own business partnered with my lovely mother while blogging called Pawz N Clawz Jewelry N Things. We currently sell handmade jewelry with added pet charms, as well as a few dog toys too! As an animal rights activist, and huge believer in helping pets who have been stuck in shelters, we donate a portion of our sales to local shelters throughout Canada.