Wrong. Did you know that somewhere in the range of 38 - 40% of dog owners do not walk their dogs? I know, I was surprised as well. But it's true. Given a small percentage of those people I'm sure have a good reason, but what about the rest?
Here's what some people have to say:
- "I can't walk my dog because I work."
- "I don't have enough time."
- "There is no where to walk my dog."
- "He doesn't need walks, we have a big yard."
- "My dog is not overweight, so he doesn't need to be walked."
The list goes on, believe me... Now before anyone gets upset with me, I want to clarify - I do realize sometimes people have no time in their day, and we get busy, and yes, sometimes where people live there is just no place to walk the dog. And I'm not trying to judge anyone's methods with their own dogs. But... I am an avid believer that walking the dog has many benefits, and exercise is only a small part of what these benefits are.
Let's Go Over 10 Reasons Why You Should Walk Your Dog:
Taking your dog out for a nice evening or early morning walk is a great bonding experience.
2. Exercise and muscle building.
Even if your dog is not overweight, exercise is an important part of keeping your pooch healthy.
3. Walking your dog will tire him out.
A tired dog is a well-behaved dog. And a much less destructive dog!
4. While having a good size yard is beneficial, it doesn't supplement for walks. The yard is the yard. Not many new smells, not many new sights, just the same thing every day. Getting your dog out and about provides him with mental stimulation. Smelling new smells, seeing new things, exploring.
5. Great training opportunities.
While your walking, teach things like heel. Or teach him to sit before crossing the road, the opportunities are endless.
Walking your dog is a great opportunity to meet other dogs.
7. Walking your dog is great for their digestive system.
And can even help with constipation.
8. The more you walk your dog, the more energy you burn, therefore you have a much less hyperactive dog at home.
9. Walking your dog can become a wonderful routine, and helps us humans get out of the house as well!
10. Finally, last but not least - walking your dog isn't only beneficial for him, but also for your own health! Even if you don't have a chance every day to walk your pooch, he will be happy with a short 15-minute walk every couple of days. Hey, it's better than nothing!
So what are you waiting for? Get outside and walk that pooch!!
Your turn!! We want to know what your favorite part of walking your dog is!