This time of year can be all kinds of awesome. Playing in the snow, cuddling up with your dog by the fire. Watching movies tucked under warm blankets, or out playing in the snow.
Whatever your favorite thing to do during winter is, I'm sure most of us can agree on one thing - skin. This time of year can do horrid things to our skin. Drying it out, making it itchy. Well, the same thing happens to our dogs. If you notice your dog itching more than usual in the winter, and not a flea in site... you're probably looking at a dry skin issue.
So what can you do to help?Fish oil!
The most common use of fish oil is to help improve the skin and coats of our dogs. But did you know it has numerous other benefits as well?
Let's talk about my top 10 benefits of using fish oil for your dogs.
1) In recent studies, fish oil has been shown to slow the growth of cancers in dogs. While research is still very much ongoing for this, a lot of vets have begun recommending fish oil to patients who have dogs showing signs of cancer.
2) Help reduce the risk of hot spots.
3) Fight dry irritated, flaky, itchy skin.
4) Promotes shiny, healthy coat. In doing so this reduces the amount of fur your dog will shed. And for those kitties out there, this means less hairballs for you! (yes! fish oil is good for cats too!)
5) Helps with conditions causing inflammation of joints, kidneys, heart and skin.
6) In reducing inflammation in joints, fish oil can also be helpful for dogs with arthritis.
7) Fish oil has been shown to improve dogs immune systems.
8) Fish oil can even be used for picky eaters. Most dogs love the taste, so a couple squirts on their food, and you may just see an improved appetite.
9) Increased energy.
10) Can help with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction. the omega-3 fatty acid, DHA has been shown to improve cognitive dysfunction in affected dogs.
"So, I hear what you're saying, but how would fish oil help with all these things?"
A lot of factors come into play here. Omega-3 fatty acids DHA, EPA are components of cell membranes. These acids act as signals in those cells to reduce inflammation. Of course with less inflammation, that means less swelling/pain in joints, skin and organs. By decreasing inflammation in our dog's organs, skin and joints, we see so many health improvements you might not have even realize your dog even had trouble with. Until you see the results!
What are your thoughts on fish oil for dogs?
Do you use it?
Hi, I'm Jenna Drady AKA HuskyCrazed - author and creator of ownedbyahusky.ca. I am a mother of two beautiful daughters and of course my 3 huskies. Being a husky mom for a long duration of my life, I was inspired to begin writing about them. In doing so, I started doing massive research on dog behavior, and all things dog in general. I am inspired every day by my family, and love to bring my readers valuable information as well as a little laugh while iâ€™m at it. I created my own business partnered with my lovely mother while blogging called Pawz N Clawz Jewelry N Things.
We currently sell handmade jewelry with added pet charms, as well as a few dog toys too! As an animal rights activist, and huge believer in helping pets who have been stuck in shelters, we donate a portion of our sales to local shelters throughout Canada.