You brought a new doggie home. Congrats! What next?
Well, you begin to teach him things of course. We teach our dogs fun tricks, we teach them to sit, lay down, and stay. We teach them what it is to be loved. The list goes on.
But... what do our dogs teach us?
A lot more than you might think. We, as human beings, just need to learn to listen and pay attention to our dog's life lessons.
Ever notice how happy go lucky dogs are?
I mean, I realize they don't have an added stress of bills to pay, jobs to go to every day and what have you. But wouldn't it be nice to have even a teeny tiny amount of the joy we can clearly see in our dogs? Keep reading, and find out 8 things we can learn from our dogs.
- Play! No, I don't mean go outside and play fetch. But playing involves moving your body. Getting that good 'ol exercise, but in a fun way. Going for a hike with the family. Playing outside with your hu-kids as well as your fur babies. Go for a swim. Let your inner child out, and enjoy yourself!
- Live in the moment. Whether your dog is eating his kibble, having a relaxing lay down on his cozy bed, or just sitting outside in the yard with you, what he is doing in that moment is all that matter for that moment. Leave all the stress for the next day behind, and just enjoy what you are doing at this very moment.
- Forgive and forget. Dogs don't stay mad. They don't stay upset. If you had a busy day, and are too tired to take him for a walk, he'll forgive you. If you forgot to buy his favorite treats, he'll forgive you. So why are we still mad that our friend stood us up last week? Or that our husbands or wives forgot that Wednesday was movie night? Forgive, forget, move on and be happy!
- If your happy and you know it, don't be afraid to show it!
- Love yourself. As humans, we have a tendency to pick ourselves apart. Such low self-esteem, we often criticize ourselves so much that it can turn into a hate. Dogs on the other hand... when is the last time you heard your big St. Bernard say "ughhh these wrinkles. I wish I was a Chihuahua."
- Love everyone. Dogs have a great gut instinct which tell them when to be nervous around certain people. Which can be a great trait for us humans as well, but in general, they love everyone. They love people. They will love you unconditionally no matter what. How great it would be to just feel love towards people rather than anger, sadness, fear or hate.
- Don't take life, and the people in it, for granted. Where did the last month go? Or year even? Time goes by so quick, we need to live it to the fullest and enjoy every moment of it.
- A dog's bark is worse than his bite. Maybe not, but our dogs do have a great way of warning someone or something before they just go ahead and full on bite it. As humans, what we can learn from this is before we jump right into anger towards someone, warn them first., Growl at them a bit and try and work it out from there.
The list could go on, but as you can see, we have a lot to learn from our four-legged friends. Now, if we could only allow ourselves to be taught.
What are some things you have learned from your dog?
Hi, I'm Jenna Drady AKA HuskyCrazed - author and creator of ownedbyahusky.ca. I am a mother of two beautiful daughters and of course my 3 huskies. Being a husky mom for a long duration of my life, I was inspired to begin writing about them. In doing so, I started doing massive research on dog behavior, and all things dog in general. I am inspired every day by my family, and love to bring my readers valuable information as well as a little laugh while I'm at it. I created my own business partnered with my lovely mother while blogging called Pawz N Clawz Jewelry N Things. We currently sell handmade jewelry with added pet charms, as well as a few dog toys too! As an animal rights activist, and huge believer in helping pets who have been stuck in shelters, we donate a portion of our sales to local shelters throughout Canada.