The weather is warming up, the flowers will start to bloom, the grass will start to turn green, the ground will get... muddy.Muddy paws is a never ending issue we pet parents have to face. Especially in the Spring season. There are some solutions that can help though, but best of all - prevention! Prevention is key when it comes to muddy paws. Not that we can technically prevent paws from getting dirty, because let's face it, there is simply no way around that. But what we can prevent is keeping those muddy paws off of our clean floors as well as our furniture.
But how you ask?
- Purchase a floor runner for inside your door. One made from absorbent material would be best to help soak up the mud.
- Have a towel handy right inside your door.
- Try a bucket of water. Keep it just outside your door, and before your pooch comes in, dip his paws in the water, give them a quick dry with a towel. This will help keep the majority of mud out of your house.
- Disposable wipes. While this can get costly, I would recommend a towel instead, however disposable wipes can come in handy in a pinch!
- Teach your dog to wipe his paws! This sounds more complicated than it actually is.
- Contain it. If you are lucky enough to have a door that leads straight to your kitchen or somewhere with an easy to clean floor - sometimes a baby gate to contain them to one area is a great idea. Once you get their paws all cleaned off, a quick mop will be much faster than having to chase your pooch all over the house cleaning muddy paw prints.
- Paw cleaning mitt! Yes they make these! And they are super handy. The mitt allows better control over your pups paw without having to hang onto a towel while you attempt a paw clean!
- If your dog is anxious about having his paws touched, try feeding yummy high value treats while you dry him up.
- Boots! If your dog will wear them, throw on a pair of booties before going out to play in the mud!
A combination of some of these can be very useful as well. My top recommended steps are as follows:
- Purchase a runner for your floor wherever the dog comes inside from.
- Dip your pups paws in a bucket of water just outside your door.
- Quick towel dry once inside on the runner.
Jenna Drady Jenna Drady is the author and creator of ownedbyahusky.ca. She is a mother of two beautiful daughters and 3 Siberian Huskies. Being a husky mom for a long duration of her life, Jenna was inspired to begin writing about them. In doing so, she began doing massive research on dog behavior, and all things dog in general. Jenna is inspired everyday by her family, and loves to bring her readers valuable information as well as a little humor too! Jenna has created her own business partnered with her lovely mother while blogging called Pawz N Clawz Jewelry N Things. They currently sell handmade jewelry with added pet charms, as well as a few dog toys too! As an animal rights activist, and huge believer in helping pets who have been stuck in shelters, they donate a portion of their sales to local shelters throughout Canada.