Hot topic alert! Should we let our pets on our beds and/or furniture or shouldn’t we?
Everyone has their own views on this, so let’s take today to go over some pro’s and con’s so to speak.
- Fur. One of the biggest reasons some people say no when it comes to letting pets on furniture is because of the fur.
- Some people believe letting a dog on the furniture/bed will create behavior issues. Preventing the dog from feeling like he has to listen to you etc… Now, in my humble opinion, I believe this is a myth that was squashed along with the dominance topic, but some do stick to their guns when it comes to this.
- Disrupting sleep. A study done at the Mayo Clinics Sleep Disorders Center found that about 53% of their patients admitted to sleeping with their animals who wake them up one way or the other throughout the night.
- Dirt. If your pet is dirty, muddy paws etc… that would be the time to say no to the furniture!
- Intimacy. Let’s face it, we don’t exactly want to… you know… with our pets glaring at us.
- Bonding. For me, letting my pets on the sofa, and/or bed is a great bonding experience. My cats love to get cozy and fall asleep between my legs, and my dogs curl up on all sides of me.
- Sleep better. This is the complete opposite from the con listed above. For some, pets might disrupt sleep. For others, pets can actually help you sleep. The soft purr of kitty is none other than incredibly relaxing, and the warmth of a dog cuddled up next to me is plenty to help me catch some needed z’s.
- Health check. Snuggling up to your pet on the couch/bed is a great time to check for any lumps and bumps.
- Training opportunity. Teach your dog the off command. This will save your furniture when pup comes running in from outside with muddy paws!
- Last but certainly not least, who doesn’t want a cuddle buddy to curl up with and watch your favorite TV show? The furrier the better!
Now that we have gone over some basic pros and cons of letting your pet on the furniture, I would love to hear your views. Personally, I let all my fur-babies on the couch as well as my bed, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. But I am curious to hear if you do, so please share in the comments!
Jenna Drady is the author and creator of ownedbyahusky.ca. She is a mother of two beautiful daughters and 3 Siberian Huskies. Being a husky mom for a long duration of her life, Jenna was inspired to begin writing about them. In doing so, she began doing massive research on dog behavior, and all things dog in general. Jenna is inspired everyday by her family, and loves to bring her readers valuable information as well as a little humor too! Jenna has created her own business partnered with her lovely mother while blogging called Pawz N Clawz Jewelry N Things. They currently sell handmade jewelry with added pet charms, as well as a few dog toys too! As an animal rights activist, and huge believer in helping pets who have been stuck in shelters, they donate a portion of their sales to local shelters throughout Canada.