Labor Day is almost here! If you’re planning a weekend getaway, don’t forget about your four-legged family members. As you say goodbye to summer, here are some fun, pet-friendly ideas for Labor Day.
- Host a dog party. Who says play dates are just for kids!?! Inviting some of your neighbors and their pooches over for a get together could be the perfect way to finally introduce yourself and make new friends, or to enhance the friendships you’ve already established. Hang out in your yard and just play or take it a step further with dog activity stations, like designated areas for fetching, hula jumping, showing off, a chow down contest, etc. You could also serve dog-themed food for your human friends, like hot dogs and healthy dog cupcakes like these for the furry friends. Put together little doggie favor bags for each four-legged guest to take home and include things like treats, balls, grooming utensils or grooming gift certificates, squeak dolls, etc.
- Take your pet to the beach or lake. Beachin’ with your pooch can be a blast! Let them have one last summer hurrah with you by letting them “run barefoot in the sand.” Here is a list of dog-friendly beaches across the U.S. If you really want to make a memorable beach entrance, dress your little guy or gal in a doggie swimsuit, like these from Poochie Heaven!
- Go on a family hike. Take advantage of the warm weather while it’s still around and let your dog run off all that energy with a hike. Look for a new trail to explore and bring along a scavenger hunt for you or your kids to do with your pet. Okay, so maybe your dog can’t really help you mark things off your “find list,” but he/she will pick up on your good mood and have fun playing along with you anyways!
- 4Knines seat cover. 4Knines specializes in selling durable, water-resistant, luxury dog seat covers for vehicles. The padded and quilted construction protects car seats while providing luxurious comfort for your pets.
- Leash, collar and tags. No-brainer here. Don’t leave home without a way to keep your pet safe and by your side when you’re out and about. This ‘call my people’ tag is cute and fun!
- Tough toy. Bring along your pet’s favorite toy. If you’re looking for a durable, destruction-resistant toy, check out our recent blog post on tough toys.
- Doggie water bottle. It’s important for pets to stay hydrated too! This doggie water bottle makes it easier. Just remember to serve room temperature water. Ice water or water that is chilled or cold when dogs are hot after outdoor activities can lead to major health problems in your pooch.
Just for fun
- Doggie bowtie. Why not snap some formal poses of your pet? Charlie Be Good’s line of dog bowties is adorable.
- Dog photo booth. Be silly and create a family photo booth! Photo booth portraits with DIY props are pretty popular now, and it’s a great way to include your pet in on some laid-back, fun family photos.
Lastly, commemorate your special weekend with one of your favorite photographs of you and your pet, along with this adorable framed paw art tutorial.
For more fun ideas, check out our Pinterest board! Happy Labor Day!