Summer seems to have come and gone. A bit too quick for my liking.
Back to school has started, summer holidays are over, everything is hectic while we all try and get our regular days back on schedule etc etc etc… but, where does that leave our pets?
Does all this chaos affect them?
The fact is yes, it does affect them, but what can you do about it?
Your pets get used to having everyone home during the summer. Kids playing, holiday trips with the family, then suddenly it all stops, parents are working, kids are back in school, and pets are left at home. Which is completely normal, but stop and think for a moment exactly how it would affect your pet.
Here Are 6 Ways to Help Your Pets Adjust to Back to School Time:
1. If your pet is an only pet, consider getting him/her a friend. Always think about your situation though, and whether or not a second animal would fit into your life.
2. You may also consider having a family member, friend, or neighbor stop by your house once or twice a day to spend time with your pets. This will help break up their day, so that they are not alone the entire duration in which everyone is gone.
3. Background noise! Don’t let your pets sit in silence all day waiting for everyone to come home. Try leaving the television on, or radio, so that they have some noise to keep them company.
4. Try and spend a little bit of extra time with your pets for the first couple weeks. Such as after work, come home take your pets somewhere on a walk, or spend a little bit of extra play time with them. This will just help them understand that even though you are gone through the day, and the mini humans are at school, they will still get some extra special time when you get home.
5. Consider some new toys for back to school season. Dogs and cats are like hu-kids when it comes to toys, and when a new toy is put in front of them, they will generally keep busy with it for at least a little bit out of the day. This will help take their mind off the fact that everyone is gone for a little while.
6. If you can, try and take your dog(s) for a walk in the morning before you have to leave for the day. Getting some of their energy out, will hopefully allow them to sleep for a bit while no one is home.
Back to school is a hectic time, yes, but it can be fun too! We just need to always remember that when something affects us, it most likely affects our pets too.
Let us know in the comments if you have kids, and how you help your pets adjust to back to school time!
Jenna Drady is the author and creator of ownedbyahusky.ca. She is a mother of two beautiful daughters and 3 Siberian Huskies. Being a husky mom for a long duration of her life, Jenna was inspired to begin writing about them. In doing so, she began doing massive research on dog behavior, and all things dog in general. Jenna is inspired every day by her family, and loves to bring her readers valuable information as well as a little humor too! Jenna has created her own business partnered with her lovely mother while blogging called Pawz N Clawz Jewelry N Things. They currently sell handmade jewelry with added pet charms, as well as a few dog toys too! As an animal rights activist, and huge believer in helping pets who have been stuck in shelters, they donate a portion of their sales to local shelters throughout Canada.