We are in the fall mood around here and of course I want to share that with my kiddos! I decided to make homemade gluten free treats from fresh pumpkin, butternut squash and oats.
We all know that pumpkin is good for our pups, especially their digestive system. But did you know butternut squash is also good for them too? It’s packed with potassium. Of course, no vegetable in large quantities is good for our dogs so that is important to keep in mind when feeding veggies to your dog.
Spoiler alert, my dogs LOVED these baked treats. I was nervous for some reason that they might not like them but they LOVED them, which made me so happy! I also made my first hyperlapse video to show the process. Check it out below!
Pumpkin Squash + Oat Treats
- 1/2 cup of diced, cooked organic butternut squash
- 1/2 cup of fresh baking or canned organic pumpkin (I used fresh pumpkin bc it cooks in the treats)
- 1/2 cup of gluten free oats
- 1 cup of gluten free flour
- 2 organic, cage free eggs
- Coconut oil cooking spray
- Sprinkle of turmeric (optional)
You’ll Also Need…
- 1 baking sheet / tin foil
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 spatula
- 1 strainer
- Food processor
1. Add oats to the food processor and chop for a little
2. Add flour in to the food processor with the oats and mix until blended thoroughly
3. Add flour and oats to mixing bowl, set aside
4. Put diced butternut squash in the food processor, set aside
5. Carve into the top of the pumpkin and begin to scoop out the pumpkin from the inside
6. Take a strainer and put your pumpkin with the seeds into the strainer and begin to separate the seeds from the pumpkin. I ran water over it to help break up the pieces.
7. Take your separated pumpkin and put it in the food processor with the butternut squash. Blend until smooth.
8. Add the pumpkin and butternut squash mixture into the mixing bowl with your flour and oats
9. Add in two eggs
10. With a spatula, mix together until fully blended and the dough is similar to a cookie dough like texture
11. Take out your baking sheet or piece of foil and spray with coconut oil spray
12. If needed, sprinkle flour over the dough to help with rolling individual treat balls
13. Roll about 1.5 tablespoon of the dough together and place on the baking sheet lightly pushing it down
16. Bake for a half hour at 350 degrees or until the middle is not soft
17. Sprinkle some turmeric on top for a fall flare! You know I love turmeric for my dogs!
18. Watch them ENJOY! Keep in the refrigerator after use since these are made with fresh ingredients and no preservatives!
“Stop torturing us mom and give us more treats!”
“This recipe was originally posted on Alicia DIY’s website here.“
Alicia Boemi lives in Chicago with her husband and their three rescue dogs. She has worked in the animal welfare and non-profit sector for more than 10 years, the majority of the time related to dog rescuing, fundraising, events, and program development. She founded The DIY Dog Mom after co-founding an event planning company and missing the world of dogs. Alicia loves writing about and sharing natural, holistic, and organic approaches to caring for dogs. Visit DIYDogMom.com to see more great ideas for you and your pooch!