Wow!! It’s getting hot out there! Fun in the sun, swimming, outdoor activities… summer can be great! But, how hot is too hot when it comes to your dog?
Check out these 10 tips to help your dog beat the heat!
1. Frozen treats! Dogs are very much like us humans when it comes to a cool treat on a hot day!
2. Shade is your best friend. Whether you’re in the comfort of your own home, or out on a walk with your pooch. Find some shade and take a break from the sun.
3. Air conditioning! I couldn’t make it through a summer without my A/C and I believe my Siberian Huskies feel the same way. Their favorite spot to lay is in front of the a/c during those hot days.
4. Taking the family for a swim? Bring your dog!
5. Take your dog for walkies during the cooler times in a day, such as early morning, or night after the sun goes down.
6. Water! Good hydration is key to those hot summer days. Take some water with you on your walks, offer plenty through the day, and always keep a cool, fresh bowl of water outside for them while they are out.
7. Grooming your dog during summer months is very helpful in keeping them cool. If you have dogs like mine – with those gorgeous double coats – groom them daily to keep all that excess fur off. Other pooches will benefit from taking a trip to the groomer to get a nice, cool summer cut!
8. Kiddie pools and sprinklers aren’t just for kids… your dog might like to head out in the heat to cool off in the pool, or run through the sprinkler!
9. Cooling jackets/collars. These are great products which I use every summer to help keep my huskies cool. Simply soak them in cold water, and your dog will be beating that heat!
10. Finally, never leave your dog in a hot car. Yes, I know… we have all heard this before, hundreds of times every summer. Funny how we still hear of so many dogs being left in cars, getting sick or worse… Spread the message!!
Most importantly, have fun! By playing it safe, and taking precautions you can help your dog enjoy summer, and beat the heat!
Do you have any tips to add? Feel free to leave them in the comments!
Jenna Drady is the author and creator of ownedbyahusky.ca. She is a mother of two beautiful daughters and 3 Siberian Huskies. Being a husky mom for a long duration of her life, Jenna was inspired to begin writing about them. In doing so, she began doing massive research on dog behavior, and all things dog in general. Jenna is inspired everyday by her family, and loves to bring her readers valuable information as well as a little humor too! Jenna has created her own business partnered with her lovely mother while blogging called Pawz N Clawz Jewelry N Things. They currently sell handmade jewelry with added pet charms, as well as a few dog toys too! As an animal rights activist, and huge believer in helping pets who have been stuck in shelters, they donate a portion of their sales to local shelters throughout Canada.