Dogs are amazing animals, who make amazing companions, with their amazing hearts, and furry faces.
It’s funny that a pet we have had for hundreds of years, still manages to bring up new facts and research every day.
Today, I think it would be fun to share 10 fun facts about dogs you may not know. And hey, even if you do know, stick around and leave us a comment with one of your own fun facts!
10 Fun Facts About Dogs You May Not Know:
1. It is no secret that dogs have more teeth than humans, but have you ever wondered exactly how many they have? Puppies have 28 teeth where an adult dog has a mouth full of 42 pearly whites!
2. Let’s talk taste! Did you know that a cat has about 473 taste buds where a dog has in the range of 1,700!
3. Have you ever seen those dogs that kick up their paws in the dirt after going potty? Mine do! And here’s why – when your dog paws the ground after having a bathroom break, they are trying to spread their scent glands to continue to mark their territory.
4. Most people know that dogs pant in order to cool their bodies down, but did you know that when they pant they can take between 300-400 breaths! That’s a huge difference from their regular 30-40 breaths.
5. Have you ever wondered if your dog dreams? I mean, I think most of us who have witnessed a dog running in their sleep, or letting out little whimpers realize that yes they do dream. But some people argue this. Well… it is a fact that dogs and humans BOTH have the same type of slow wave sleep aka “SWS” and rapid eye movement aka “REM.” During the REM stage, dogs do dream. I wonder what they dream about?
6. Dogs have a sense of time. Meaning – if you notice your dog seems to know exactly what time of day he normally gets his walk, or when exactly you will be walking through the door after work. You are absolutely right. They do!
7. Dogs have great sniffers. But how great? A dog’s sense of smell is 1,000 to 10 million times better than yours!
8. Now we know how good their noses are, what about their ears? Well think of it this way – our range of hearing is from 64 to 23,000 hertz. Whereas a dog’s range of hearing is from 67 to 45,000 hertz (cycles per second). Wait a sec… did you hear that?
9. Color blind? Nah, contrary to popular belief, dogs are not color blind, they just don’t see color as vividly as humans.
10. Finally – while we already figured out how powerful your dogs nose is, did you know that the print of their nose is completely unique to each dog? Just like a humans finger print.
That wraps it up for today, if you liked this post, please let me know in the comments, and I will do another top 10 list soon! Don’t forget to add your own dog (or cat) fun facts below!
Jenna Drady is the author and creator of ownedbyahusky.ca. She is a mother of two beautiful daughters and 3 Siberian Huskies. Being a husky mom for a long duration of her life, Jenna was inspired to begin writing about them. In doing so, she began doing massive research on dog behavior, and all things dog in general. Jenna is inspired everyday by her family, and loves to bring her readers valuable information as well as a little humor too! Jenna has created her own business partnered with her lovely mother while blogging called Pawz N Clawz Jewelry N Things. They currently sell handmade jewelry with added pet charms, as well as a few dog toys too! As an animal rights activist, and huge believer in helping pets who have been stuck in shelters, they donate a portion of their sales to local shelters throughout Canada.