So who's up for a bit of a history lesson?According to Wikipedia St. Patrick's Day - also referred to as - the Feast Of St. Patrick, is a religious/cultural celebration. It is of course held on the 17th of March each year. And the reason March 17th is the official date, is because it was on that day, that Saint Patrick passed away. Saint Patrick was of course, the Patron Saint of Ireland. In the early 17th century, March 17th was made an official Christian feast day. In short, the day basically commemorates the arrival of Christianity in Ireland, as well as Saint Patrick, celebrating the heritage of the Irish. Of course, in other parts of the world (including Ireland itself) sports everything green on March 17th. Everything from Shamrocks to clothing, and even funny green hats. While there are different claims as to why St. Paddy's day uses green colors to celebrate, one of the most popular reasons I have heard, is a lot to do with the fact of Ireland being nicknamed "The Emerald Isle." Makes sense.
Now, lets get to some fun ways to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with your Pet!
1. Baking!Get creative, and find some natural, healthy recipes to create some yummy shamrock shaped dog or cat treats! Use an all natural dye to create the green look.
2. Take a TripHead out to your favorite local pet store, and purchase a green collar, bandanna, or even a cute green, leprechaun toy to help keep that St. Paddy's Day theme!
3. Beer!!Right about now, you think i'm crazy. Why on earth would I be telling you to give your pets beer? Well, before you think I am a complete nut case, hear me out... did you know you can actually get pet safe beer? Of course, it is not an actual beer, and there is definitely NO alcohol in it. It is actually made from all natural ingredients, such as chicken and beef. And lets face it, St. Paddy's Day is most definitely associated with beer, so let your pet be part of the paw-ty!
4. Have a Paw-ty for Your Pet!I know, it sounds silly. But how fun would it be to have a St. Paddy's celebration for your pets? Not only can it be fun for the pets, but fun for the humans too! A good reason for friends to get together, and for pets to socialize with one and other. You could even make it sort of a pot luck pet paw-ty! Have each guest bring their own healthy, St. Paddy's Day themed pet treats, decorate the house in green, be creative, and have fun with it!
5. DIY ProjectI know so many people who love love LOVE creating their own DIY projects. Whether you fall into that category or not, why not try your hand at making a fun green bandanna for your pet! Everyone gets to feel a little Irish on St. Paddy's day, so make sure to include your pets when planning your holiday this year. Have fun, and let the luck o' the Irish take control of your day, and your creativity! We would love to hear from you! How do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day? Have you ever thought of involving your pets in the festivities?
Jenna Drady Jenna Drady is the author and creator of ownedbyahusky.ca. She is a mother of two beautiful daughters and 3 Siberian Huskies. Being a husky mom for a long duration of her life, Jenna was inspired to begin writing about them. In doing so, she began doing massive research on dog behavior, and all things dog in general. Jenna is inspired every day by her family, and loves to bring her readers valuable information as well as a little humor too! Jenna has created her own business partnered with her lovely mother while blogging called Pawz N Clawz Jewelry N Things. They currently sell handmade jewelry with added pet charms, as well as a few dog toys too! As an animal rights activist, and huge believer in helping pets who have been stuck in shelters, they donate a portion of their sales to local shelters throughout Canada.