Here Are 5 Things I Think Make Someone a Responsible Pet Owner:
1. LoveWe need to show our pets the same unconditional love that they show for us. Have you ever heard the quote: "a dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself."? It is one of my favorite quotes, and it is oh, so true! Pets need our love, they need us to show them that we are there for them always, no matter what. Some people believe pets do not have feelings, or they do not feel love. To you people, I simply say... PFFFFFFFFT!!!!
2. ExerciseThis may seem like something small, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Exercise is extremely important for your pets happiness, and their health. And aside from the physical aspect, exercising with your pet can strengthen the bond you have with them too.
3. HealthNo matter what you feed your pet, be it a raw diet, kibble, whatever your thang is... your pet needs regular vet visits. Your pet needs to be looked at by a professional, your pet needs to be vaccinated against certain things in order to prevent illnesses, some of them fatal. Now, I am one of those people who happen to think that some pets are over-vaccinated, (something to post about another day on another post) but that doesn't mean they still do not need their vaccinations, and need to get in and have their yearly check-ups.
4. GroomingNow, this one may seem a little silly at first, when it comes to being a responsible pet owner, but I truly believe grooming is extremely important in taking care of our pets. Brushing their fur, clipping their nails, giving them baths, all of these things contribute to their health, and not just that, but grooming is the perfect opportunity to inspect your pets skin for any lumps or bumps.
5. Last, but Certainly Not Least, What I Believe Makes Someone a Responsible Pet Owner Is Doing Your Research Before Even Deciding to Add a Pet to Your Life/FamilyThere are so many reasons why pets end up in shelters... but one of the most common reasons is due to people not doing their research. Not researching the breed you are about to adopt before adopting, and not researching your own life to ensure that you will have the time and space for your new pet. These things are so important, I can't even begin to stress to you. Not all breeds of pets are for all people, and not all people have the time or space for pets in their lives. Being responsible enough to really think about these things, makes for a great pet owner... or even future pet owner. I could go on and on all day when it comes to this subject, as there is just so much that goes into being a pet owner. As I mentioned above, like it or not, a responsible parent, and a responsible pet owner have many, many similarities. I would love to hear what you think makes a responsible pet owner. If you have anything to add to the list, please share with us in the comment section!
Jenna Drady Jenna Drady is the author and creator of ownedbyahusky.ca. She is a mother of two beautiful daughters and 3 Siberian Huskies. Being a husky mom for a long duration of her life, Jenna was inspired to begin writing about them. In doing so, she began doing massive research on dog behavior, and all things dog in general. Jenna is inspired every day by her family, and loves to bring her readers valuable information as well as a little humor too! Jenna has created her own business partnered with her lovely mother while blogging called Pawz N Clawz Jewelry N Things. They currently sell handmade jewelry with added pet charms, as well as a few dog toys too! As an animal rights activist, and huge believer in helping pets who have been stuck in shelters, they donate a portion of their sales to local shelters throughout Canada.