Spring is here! And while there is still plenty of snow in some parts of the world (specifically meaning my part of the world here in Ontario) we still know that gorgeous spring weather is on its way! That being said, all that warm sun, and blooming flowers also means lots of rain and mud.So what do you do when it's raining outside and you and your dog are cooped up inside? Today, I will share 10 ways to keep your dog busy on rainy days.
1. Hide and sniff.Playing games with your dog doesn't only strengthen your relationship with him, but it's also great for mental stimulation for your pooch. Play games such as hide and sniff. Hide treats around the house, and help him find them. Once he gets the idea of the game, you can start hiding the treats in more complicated places.
2. Toys such as Kongs can be great to help pass the time for your dog.There are several different recipes you can create to stuff the Kong toy with. Freezing them makes it a longer lasting game for your dog to try and get all that yummy stuff out of the middle!
3. It's never a bad time to teach your dog some new tricks!Spend some time doing some fun training sessions together.
4. Since you'll be spending less time outdoors walking while it rains, what about taking a car trip?Some pups aren't too fond of the car, but if yours is, this could be a great time for a road trip!
5. Play the which hand game.Put a small treat in one of your hands, close your fist and let your pooch figure out which hand!
6. Have some friends over!And I don't just mean human friends... invite a friend or 2 over who also have dogs and make a doggie play-date! This will pass the time for you and your friends as well as giving your pup some company too!
7. Ever hear of that old game monkey in the middle?How about puppy in the middle? Have you and a family member or friend sit on either side of the dog, and throw a toy back and forth. Your dog will enjoy trying to catch it!
8. Food dispensing toys.These can be super fun for your dog. They love a challenge, and there are plenty of food dispensing toys out there!
9. Bubbles!Adult or not... human or not... everyone loves bubbles! Sure your floors might get a bit soapy, but its worth it! Grab a jug of bubbles and watch your dog try and catch them! This can pass more time than you think!
10. Sometimes its fun to just say ah the heck with it!Throw on a rain coat and rain boots, take your dog outside and play in puddles! Come on... you know you wanna! This is just the tip of different ideas for you and your dog to keep busy on a rainy day. There are so many things you can do, and with a little creativity, you will be surprised at the things you can come up to pass the time! How about you? What are some of your favorite things to do on a rainy day with your pets?
Jenna Drady Jenna Drady is the author and creator of ownedbyahusky.ca. She is a mother of two beautiful daughters and 3 Siberian Huskies. Being a husky mom for a long duration of her life, Jenna was inspired to begin writing about them. In doing so, she began doing massive research on dog behavior, and all things dog in general. Jenna is inspired everyday by her family, and loves to bring her readers valuable information as well as a little humor too! Jenna has created her own business partnered with her lovely mother while blogging called Pawz N Clawz Jewelry N Things. They currently sell handmade jewelry with added pet charms, as well as a few dog toys too! As an animal rights activist, and huge believer in helping pets who have been stuck in shelters, they donate a portion of their sales to local shelters throughout Canada.