This past week has been National Walk Your Dog Week.While I (and I think you can all agree) think walking your dog is an important part of everyday life, there are still some fun things you can do with your pooch for Walk Your Dog Week. And just so I don't keep you all anxiously waiting, with your ears perked to the sky... I'm going to share 10 of those things with you today! ; )
1. Take your dog for a walk in a different area than he is used to.Dogs live through their noses, and while you and me can sometimes get tired of seeing the same old scenery day in and day out, our dogs can get tired of smelling the same things every day. Taking a different route for your walk can be beneficial to both of you.
2. Call up a friend or two, and go on a dual dog walk.Socialize your dog, while having a good conversation yourself.
3. Instead of just going on a regular walk, walk to a certain place in particular, and bring your dog with you.The two of you can go for a visit to a friends house, sit outside of your local coffee shop, maybe even take a cruise to the pet store.
4. Speaking of taking a walk to the local pet store... another idea for walk your dog week is to have a little shopping spree with your pup.Even if its something like heading out to the pet store and grabbing a little treat for a snack during walk time. Your dog will thank you. ; )
5. Take a walk to the dog park.That being said... I know a lot of people are up and down about dog parks, but when you live in a small town, and you know everyone who resides there, it is much easier to head to the dog park with ease. Some big cities have dog parks I would just never want to take my pups to unfortunately.
6. Slow your walk down a little bit.Sometimes we get a bit rushed, and sort of get out, walk, get back and that's that. Slow it down a bit sometimes, enjoy the autumn colors, let your your dog sniff their surroundings. Relax a bit.
7. Do you have children? Grab the kids, the dog, and head out to the park!The kids will be happy, and you might be surprised how much your dog will enjoy watching them run around laughing, having a good time.
8. Take a hike!Find a nice trail, and go for a little walk in the bush! Remember to try and stay away from long grassy areas though, as the ticks could be out and about, and you don't want those critters coming home with you!
9. Take a walk and meet up with some friends at a park somewhere with your dog.See if you all can come up with some new, fun tricks to teach your dogs, then have a relaxing walk home.
10. Last but certainly not least... change up your walk times.Dogs can be like clock work when it comes to walk times, so try throwing an extra walk in at a random time. Your dog will be excited and who knows, you might meet some new people at a different time of day. These ideas are good for any time of year, not just Walk Your Dog Week. So remember to mix things up a bit to keep your walks interesting and fun for both you and your dog. What sort of things would you add to this list?
Jenna Drady Jenna Drady is the author and creator of ownedbyahusky.ca. She is a mother of two beautiful daughters and 3 Siberian Huskies. Being a husky mom for a long duration of her life, Jenna was inspired to begin writing about them. In doing so, she began doing massive research on dog behavior, and all things dog in general. Jenna is inspired every day by her family, and loves to bring her readers valuable information as well as a little humor too! Jenna has created her own business partnered with her lovely mother while blogging called Pawz N Clawz Jewelry N Things. They currently sell handmade jewelry with added pet charms, as well as a few dog toys too! As an animal rights activist, and huge believer in helping pets who have been stuck in shelters, they donate a portion of their sales to local shelters throughout Canada.